× Discuss on Template programming, jBASE programming, Enquiries, No-File enquiry, Enquiry routines, Version, Version routines, Menus, Abbriviations, Creating local reference fields, Fast path enquiries, Creating charts and graphs, Generating Reports, Deal slips, Straight through processing, Multi Company and Multi Book setup, Tabbed screens, Composite Screens, T24 API, etc...

One big enquiry vs multiple small enquiries - Performance question

• Compiux
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #23503 by Compiux
Hello experts.
I gotta admit I know little to nothing about T24 except that we have R10 (if that helps) and I need advise from knowledgeable people.
We have an enquiry that is used to acquire a customer info and it's big, it returns a big chunk of information and it's called from the Oracle Service Bus every time someone wants info about a client... even if it's just the name.

I've been tasked to develop a new version of the service on the OSB but I have to decide what I need from the T24 development team. I am thinking about asking specialized small enquiries that could be called concurrently from the OSB, the enquiries consumed by the bus would depend on the request and it could be that the bus will just call one or it could call all of them (there is a projection of 7 enquiries if we do this). For this purpose, the information would be categorized so that if someone only needs basic info then only one enquiry would be called and they would have only the info they need instead of receiving the whole set of data they are receiving now.

The thing is my coworkers feel it would overload the core without need because it would move from one single call to T24 to multiple concurrent calls (seven calls in the worst case scenario for a single request), I understand that but I kinda feel they are underestimating the capabilities of the core and are going for a "bring me everything and I'll filter it later" approach instead of a "bring me what I need", but (as I mentioned) I know almost nothing about T24.. specially about performance and I want to know if my idea is actually bad or if it's something worth consider.

I hope you can enlight me a bit about this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Globus|G09-G13 TAFC|R05-R23 TAFJ|R19,R23-test
More
2 years 4 months ago #23506 by VK
HI
I would suggest NOFILE enquiry with several custom selections (SS field SYS.TYPE = 'S'). Then in the routine (SS field SYS.TYPE = 'R') you can see what set of data is to be returned.

Cheers
VK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Compiux

• Compiux
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #23507 by Compiux
Thank you!
I will discuss this with the T24 Dev Team.
Now, if this is a single enquiry, it means I would still need to call it more than once in order to acquire all the info, am I right?
Would it degrade T24 performance?

As mentioned before, I am thinking of a solution with small enquiries (or in this case, to an enquiry with the custom selection) instead of a big one and I am planning to make multiple concurrent calls in a single request for specific info instead of a call to a single enquiry that acquires so much info that goes to waste most of the time.

Basically... is multiple small calls better than one big call? Can T24 handle this? Because the guys say it would make the core unstable.

• Compiux
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #23508 by Compiux
I talked with a member of the T24 dev team and he gave me some insight on this. The NOFILE enquiry would actually have the logic to get the bits of information I need based on a search criteria. This solves a big chunk of my problem because it's some sort of dynamic query.
The OSB would only need to call T24 once and T24 would do the hard work. The OSB will receive pre-filtered data and, from there, I would have to do much less work.

Thanks for the tip @VK, I think this will be the way to go.

• silvergem
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • TAFC|R12/R13, TAFJ|R20
More
2 years 4 months ago #23509 by silvergem
Is the fields that being selected in criteria index? you can also implement build routine that select data from concat table.

As long you know the id of the record or the fields was index, retrieving of data much faster

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds